Early on in our relationship, I sat down with James and we did one of the Love Language quizzes. As I knew, my love language ended up being Acts of Service. Unsurprising to him, his was physical touch. It was interesting to see the quiz and to learn that about each other. You don’t have to have the same love language as each other to make a relationship work, you just have to know how to use that information to show each other that you do in factÂ know how to show that you love them.
What is the Love Language, Physical Touch?
It’s not all about sex, yes sex is part of this category, but there are many other small moments that involve physical touch that will show your loved one that you do love them. It’s cuddling up on the couch while watching a movie or holding his hand while out doing things that will mean a lot to him. It is about being intentional with your touch, it will be one powerful gift for him. According to the 5 Love Languages website “This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face â€“ they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive. Physical touch fosters a sense of security and belonging in any relationship.”
Want to Learn your Love Language?
Head over to the 5 Love Language website to take the quiz and find out more information about yourself and how you love or have your partner take it and learn how to love them. James scored high on the Physical Touch, so I went to learn more about physical touch and how I could show him I love him even more and I wanted to share with you the things I have found.
50 Ideas for Physical Touch
- Foot rubs
- Cuddle on the couch.
- Rest your head on his shoulder.
- Hold his hand.
- Take a bath or shower together.
- Hug him from behind.
- Play with his hair/ beard/ etc.
- Kiss his neck.
- Body massages.
- Greet him at the door with a kiss.
- Initiate sex.
- Bear hugs.
- Cup his face in your hands (bonus – kiss him)
- Hugs, all types.
- Slow Dance.
- Give his butt a tap or squeeze.
- Play footsie.
- Touch his arm or shoulders as you walk past.
- Sit in his lap.
- Kiss more.
- Let him rest his head on your lap.
- Plan an intimate night for two.
- Kiss his forehead.
- Cuddle a little longer in the mornings.
- Wrestling matches.
- Put your hand in his back pocket (without stealing his wallet after, lol)
- Â Enjoy each other’sÂ space.
- Tickle fight.
- Sit Close
- Hold hands while driving.
- Wink at him.
- Wash his back in the shower.
- Grab his arms and wrap them around you.
- Reach across the table and hold his hands at dinner.
- Grab him and pull him close.
- Scratch his back.
- Sit Close.
- Ask him what he would want.
- Caress his arm as you talk.
- Kiss him like it is your last time to ever kiss him.
- Rub his shoulders.
- Walk arm in arm.
- Touch Foreheads.
- Tell him what you are looking forward to. (Kissing him when he gets home)
- A Kiss on the cheek.
- Initiate the Touch.
- Whisper in his ear.
And the last but most important one.
Â Â 50. Be thoughtful how you touch others.Â
Why do I say that this is the most important? After you find out which touch is most important to your loved one, it may be hurtful to see you use that touch with someone else. If it is important to your partner that you touch them on the shoulder as you walk past and you use that with someone else, it carries a lot of weight with your partner.