One thing I keep going back and forth on is are we going with an RV, RV Remodel, or a Skoolie. This has been an issue since we started to dream about our traveling plans. I keep going back and forth with what I want to do in the long run. There are pro’s and con’s to both of these and I really need to work this out. So maybe someone out on the vast internet can help us if they have done these.
Purchasing a New RV
Our first option is to purchase a new RV. This isn’t a fully customizable option and we are limited by our budget or wait a few years to save up for one that we would REALLY like. We would also need to choose between a Trailer Pull, 5th Wheel, Class C, and Class A rigs.
- It’s brand new, never used, never slept in.
- Don’t have to worry about previous owners maintenance
- Updated Gadgets.
- Some dealers include upgrade packages.
- What materials were used in building the RV?
- Limited Floor Plans.
- Limited decor options.
- Loses its value quickly.
- Longest time for us to get on the road.
Remodeling a Used RV
While we are considering remodeling a used RV, I would not want to completely gut it and start over. I would also not want a rig that was too old either. We would still need to make a choice between the trailer, 5th wheel, Class C, and Class A rig.
- They are cheaper and have already lost their value.
- IF they are taken care of, they have good bones already.
- We can redesign how we want over time.
- Shortest time to getting on the road.
- Really cool vintage RV can be found.
- How was the rig taken care of?
- For Motorhomes, how was the engine maintenance?
- Limited Floor Plans.
- Repairs can be costly.
- No Warranties.
- Some RV Parks Restrict by the Rig’s age.
Building A Skoolie
Building a Skoolie is a time-consuming process if it will just be James, the kids, and I building the bus. This option offers a lot of great Pro’s for us and that is why it is still on our list of options. But…. one of the con’s may prevent me from doing this one unless we do something to the bus to prevent it from doing what happened while on Skyler’s field trip. The suspension in a bus STINKS. I came out of my seat on the back of the bus and hurt my back. So this is why I am on the verge of saying one of the other two options.
- Fully Customizable
- Can create a more homey feel.
- We choose the floor plan and design it to our needs.
- Home goes where we go.
- We can choose the materials that go into the bus.
- The Suspension issue.
- RV Park restrictions.
- Where can we park while we build?
- The conversion time frame.
- price of materials to go into it.
Which one is it?
Truthfully, we have no idea. I love the idea of a Skoolie. I REALLY love that idea. But the RV remodel idea is also on my mind. If you had to choose one of these which would you look at? Let us know down in the comment section. Go ahead and pin this post to Pinterest. There are more pin designs when you use the floating Pinterest button below!